“Weekend is the beginning of new life for another week ahead.”
The weekend is the only time to get some ‘me’ time as Monday to Friday is full of deadlines, work pressure, headache, tension and what not! Yes, a weekend acts as a much needed refreshing break from your mundane life. That’s why, we suggest our readers to go on a Jaipur weekend trip, for two reasons, first, November to December is the best time to be there and second, we are going to save your precious time, by providing you all the details about must-visit tourist places around Jaipur. Here we go!
Pushkar: A Prominent Hindu Pilgrimage Town
Distance from Jaipur: 146.4 km via NH 48
If you are looking for weekend trips from Delhi, Pushkar is the most ideal one, as it is both affordable and time saving. Said to be one of the oldest cities in India, Pushkar is located at a height of 510 metres and is encircled by hillocks on three sides. Devotees from Jaipur and Delhi visit this tranquil town to take a dip in the holy lake of Pushkar. According to legends, this lake is believed to be appeared when Lord Brahma, the creator of the Universe dropped a lotus. Pushkar boasts of being the home to the pristine white Brahma Temple, which is believed to be the only of its kinds in the world.
Things to do:
- Visit Pushkar lake, which is surrounded by 52 bathing ghats to witness Hindu pilgrims and their rituals. You too can enjoy a spiritual bath and a quaint evening. Also, you can pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi at the Gandhi ghat, as his ashes were sprinkled here.
- Trek up to the Saraswati Temple, which is situated on a hill, and enjoy a breathtaking top view of the Pushkar lake.
- Go camel riding on the wide stretched desert of Pushkar, if adventure is on your mind!
- Any trip is incomplete without local shopping, so head straight to Sadar Bazaar where you can find a variety of products ranging from leather goods, apparels and rose products to silver jewellery and handicrafts.
Tourist Attractions: Brahma Temple, Old Rangji Temple, Man Mahal, Rose Garden, Savitri Mata Temple, Nag Pahar, and Sarafa Bazaar.
How to Reach Pushkar from Jaipur?
By flight: The nearest airport to Pushkar is Jaipur’s Sanganer Airport, located at a distance of around 152 km. You can avail buses, taxis or cabs from the airport to reach Pushkar.
By bus: You can take a direct bus from Jaipur to Pushkar, as several AC and Non-AC buses are available on a regular basis. The bus journey takes about 3 hours 15 minutes and the bus fares ranges between 160 INR to 220 INR.
By rail: Pushkar Terminus Railway Station is well-connected to Ajmer Railway Station, which is located at a distance of 11 km. Board a train from Jaipur Railway Station to Ajmer, and change at Ajmer for Pushkar.
Ajmer: Abode of Sufi Saint Khwaja Muin-ud-din Chishti
Distance from Jaipur: 135 Km via NH 48
Another best place to visit, if you are on a Jaipur weekend trip, Ajmer, a famous pilgrimage city, is home to Ajmer-e-Sharif Dargah. Devotees, both Hindu and Muslims, from all over the country come to this dargah to seek divine blessings of Khwaja Muin-ud-din Chishti. It is believed that anyone who visits this dargah gets their wishes fulfilled.
Things to do:
- If you wish to soothe your body, mind and soul, do listen to the famous Qawwali at the Mehfil-e-sama, in front of the dargah after prayers.
- Do shopping at Mahila Mandi, as the name suggests, this market is exclusively made for women. One can buy various products here like embroidered shoes, decorative bindis, junk jewellery, lehengas, ‘attar’ (perfume) etc.
Tourist Attractions: Adhai Din Ka Jhonpda, Anasagar Lake, Soniji Ki Nasiyan, Ajmer Government Museum, Lake Foy Sagar, Taragarh Fort
How to Reach Ajmer from Jaipur?
By flight: Jaipur Airport is the nearest and is located 138 kilometres away via NH 48. You can reach Ajmer in around 2 to 3 hours by hiring a cab or taxi.
By bus: Direct buses are available from Jaipur to Ajmer on a regular basis.
By rail: Direct trains are available from Jaipur railway station to Ajmer railway station.
Alwar: The Hidden Gem of Rajasthan
Distance from Jaipur: 163 km via NH 21 and RJ SH 25
Often overshadowed by other popular cities like Jaipur, Jaisalmer and Jodhpur, Alwar is a perfect weekend destination for both wildlife and history lovers. Surrounded by Aravali hills, Alwar is said to be one of the oldest of Rajasthani Kingdoms and is home to popular attractions viz. Sariska Tiger Reserve and Bhangarh village.
Things to do:
- Savour your taste buds with Alwar’s famous sweet Milk Cake, locally known as ‘Alwar ka mawa’.
- Explore Bajaja Bazaar, a wholesale market, where you can buy precious stones, stone jewellery, beads, zardozi worked items, silk thread etc.
- If you have time, go on a short trip to picturesque Siliserh Lake, located 17 km away from the city on the Sariska Road. Nestled in the Aravalli Mountains, this lake is a perfect place to capture the beauty of the setting sun on your camera.
Tourist Attractions: City Palace, Bala Qila, Moosi Maharani Chhatri, Purjan Vihar, Sariska Tiger Reserve, Tijara Jain Temple
How to Reach Alwar from Jaipur?
By flight: Alwar is located 165 km away from Jaipur International Airport, via NH 21 and RJ SH 25.
By bus: Regular buses are available from Jaipur to Alwar.
By rail: Regular trains run between Alwar Junction Railway Station and Jaipur Junction Railway Station
Bhangarh: India’s Most Haunted Place
Distance from Jaipur: 84.8 km via Alwar-Jaipur road
You must have heard of Bhangarh fort and its eerie background story. Founded in 1631 by Madho Singh, Bhangarh village is located at the border of the Sariska Tiger Reserve in the Alwar district of Rajasthan. It is infamous for the 17th century built Bhangarh fort and the surrounding collapsed houses. Several legends are attested to reasons behind the sudden abandonment of the village by the inhabitants. And, the fact that there is a signboard posted by Archaeological Survey of India which forbids locals and tourists from entering the fort before sunrise and after sunset, makes it more dangerous and scary.
P.S.: If the mysteries of paranormal activities enchant you, do visit Bhangarh, else give it a miss!
How to Reach Bhangarh from Jaipur?
By flight: The closest airport is Jaipur International Airport, located around 88 km away via NH 21.
By bus: Regular buses are available from Jaipur to Bhangarh.
By rail: The nearest railway station is Jaipur Junction Railway Station, located 86.8 km away.
So, what are you waiting for? Start planning right away, because weekend is never far away!